Monday, May 28, 2007

Swinging in the rain

Today we went with my wife to a meeting she was involved in. Several of the other ladies wanted to see the kids, so we all tagged along.

While waiting for her meeting to finish my job was to keep the kids entertained and happy. Or at least prevent them from disturbing the meeting and/or hurting themselves.

We were told the campus we were on had a playground, so we set out to find it. After a few miscues from some well-intentioned, but obviously misguided efforts to help us find it, we stumbled across it ourselves.

There were two slides that were steeper than any slide I think I have seen here in India. There were two swing sets that sat lower to the ground than any I have seen before, with literally only inches of clearance between them and the ground. There were also a see-saw and a set of monkey bars.

While playing on the swings it began to sprinkle and slowly got more serious about really raining. The kids were having so much fun we decided to ignore the rain for a while. As this was going on I could not help but think of the song “Singing in the Rain”, so I changed the words a bit and began with “Swinging in the Rain . . . . . we’re singing in the rain . . “.

The kids looked at me like I was nuts, but then slightly impressed that I had just made up that tune all by myself. That is the fun part of being a dad. You don’t have to worry that they don’t know you did not make that song up.

Eventually we gave up on playing on the playground in the rain and headed for cover. I was glad to see the kids able to recount to mommy later the adventures we had and the song ‘daddy made up’. Memories being made. Good stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home