Thursday, June 29, 2006

Change of tactic

Today my kids had a hard time taking their naps. If they don’t take their naps they become unmanageable by about 6 pm or so. The problem today was that the voltage in our neighborhood had dropped very low for some reason.

Power problems are nothing new, but this was weird. There was just enough voltage to run the lights and make the ceiling fan slowly turn, just enough to tease you that it might feel good. There was no way the air conditioning in their room was going to work though. And they are used to having the AC on.

I warned them that I was in no mood to fight with them and the first time I had to come in to the room if they were not sleeping they would be in trouble. I stood there for a while, and kept reminding them that their job was to close their eyes and sleep. No talking, no whining, just sleep. They were both so tired that within minutes they were asleep and I quietly exited the room and went back to work.

About 20 minutes later my son got up and told me he needed to go to the bathroom. Thankfully my daughter was still asleep. He did his thing and went back to bed carefully.

About 20 minutes after that the power came back on full strength so I went in quietly to turn on their AC. My son was still awake, but he assured me he would sleep now with the AC on. And then the battle began. After numerous times in there threatening them with punishment, I conceded defeat and brought my daughter out of the room. By now she had had about an hour of sleep. I figured now my son needed some too.

I was not happy with either of them for not cooperating. Don’t they understand I have so much work to do? Don’t they realize the pressure I am under? I made my daughter sit in a chair in the living room while I went back into my office to work some more. She began crying a little, and then a little more.

It was then that I realized I had taken the wrong tactic. Scolding was not working. It was hurting her. She was so tired and yet she knew I was not happy with her. I went over and picked her up and just held her. She melted into me with her head on my shoulder and her arm hanging limply over my side. Within seconds she was back asleep. I lay down on the couch with her on my chest for a while. She was so peaceful. And so was I.

I eventually moved her onto the couch by herself and let her sleep for another half hour. When she woke up she was so much different than before. Happy and smiling. Much better than the crying and fighting.

Maybe I should try this different tactic more often. Lord, help me to remember the lesson learned today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home