Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Poor marketing skills

I was out for a walk (for exercise) this morning with a friend and while on our way back home we were ‘approached’ by a car. I say approached because we first noticed it when it pulled along side me and was driving at the same speed as we were walking, about a foot to the side of me. While it is not uncommon to be passed at such close range, to have someone drive right next to you that close is not common, and is a bit unnerving.

The driver finally rolled down his window a little and asked us for a minute. It was then he realized he was in the middle of the road and needed to move to the side. After a series of attempts, he finally pulled just around the corner, basically cutting off our path of walking. We approached the driver’s side window, sweating from our walk. We noticed the man sitting inside his car fumbling to open his leather attaché case.

Did he have a gun in there? Was he intending to harm us in some way? No, in fact he was a salesman wanting make his ‘pitch’ to us. His product . . . . . weight loss formula. He then fumbled some more (like 5 minutes worth) trying to find a dvd about his products, only to come up empty handed. He assured me he would contact me when he found it.

Now I don’t know if you caught the first line of this post. I was out exercising. To be approached by a total stranger telling me he thought I needed to lose some weight (by using his products) was not only slightly offensive, but a little funny as well. I know I am fat!! That is why I am walking.

Apparently the thought process is a little different. I was trying to do something about my need to lose weight, while he assumed I was either not aware of that need, or thought perhaps I was not doing anything (or enough) about it. Had I just been sitting near the side of the road occupying space and consuming oxygen, I could understand him maybe approaching me with his wares. “Hey, friend, you are looking pretty huge. Maybe you should try my weight loss powder.” But I was actively demonstrating my knowledge of my need as well as my willingness to do something about it.

Poor marketing skills at best in my mind.

So that then begs the question in my own life, how often do my attempts to ‘peddle my wares’ get met with a similar reaction? Am I approaching ‘fat guys’ out exercising and causing them slight embarrassment by pointing out the obvious ‘need’? Are my methods any more effective or well received?

It all comes down to knowing your audience. Do I know mine? Do you know your’s?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home