Sunday, September 24, 2006

What a difference

Had an experience today that was so contrary to what most people have come to expect. I had a great experience with an airline.

I booked myself a frequent flier ticket to go visit my parents and sisters for two days in between stops on my long trip. I don’t normally fly with this particular airline, and the only miles I earn with them are through my credit card, so this ticket was simply the result of having spent a small fortune on my credit card over the last year.

My trip outbound was fine. Just as expected. On my way back I arrived at the airport much earlier than needed and when I approached the check in desk there was only the one airline employee there along with a TSA agent. Just on the off chance that I might get an earlier flight out, I asked if there were any earlier flights. It was 1:40 pm. I was told there was a flight at 2:15 and yes, I could get on it.

I then pointed out that 2:15 was barely half an hour away, the ticket agent said no problem as long as we hurry. No time to charge me the normal $25 change fee so that would be waived this time. When booking my seat she asked me where I preferred to sit. I replied “First Class.” She began looking and then realized I was on a mileage ticket, and began to inform me that this would not be possible.

I mentioned the number of miles I had paid for the flight and she went back to look again, and suddenly decided that an upgrade was in the offing for me today.

She rushed me through the process, handed me my boarding passes and tagged my bag and pointed me towards the security check point, telling me not to waste any time.

I cleared security quickly since there were only 4 people in line, and headed for my gate, arriving about 2 minutes before they began boarding. All in all I had been at the airport about 15 minutes and was getting on my flight.

Pretty amazing. No change fee, an upgrade, and all the while the agent was very nice and friendly. Maybe I need to change primary airlines . . . . . or maybe this was such a rare, random experience that it was simply God smiling on me. Hmmmm, there is a question . . . . does God care about getting upgraded on flights?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home