Monday, June 11, 2007

Back to School

It’s back to school time here. My daughter began her new year today. She was excited to go back and get the year going. She claims to be really looking forward to having homework this year, like her big brother did last year. Always knew there was something wrong with that one. Liking homework? She did not get that from me, since in four years of high school I brought homework home only one night – out of the whole four years!! I fully expect she will do school this year like she does most everything else in life – full throttle! You go girl!

My son is also excited, but for different reasons. He gets to ride the bus to and from school this year. We went this morning to see the bus stop, and figure out exactly where he has to wait, and so on. He does not start until next week, but the older kids go this week, so we took advantage of the ‘dry run’ for the morning bus routine. I even flagged the bus down to speak to the driver and watchman (they have dedicated security on these buses in addition to the driver, thankfully), which the boy thought was pretty neat that his dad can stop buses whenever he wants to.

We have begun talking through how he should behave on the bus, etc. He told me if other children do things they should not do, or if they start picking on him, he is just going to ‘sit nicely and look out the window and pretend they are not even there.” His words, not mine. Part of me fears how he will change this year with exposure to all kinds of things (people, behaviors, language, etc.) that are largely out of our control. He is a great kid that usually shows real tenderness when given a chance. His sister can be the exception to that rule.

My how time flies. It was not so long ago they were just little ones, and now they are off to school and becoming little people in the process. Soon, they will be at the point of being sure they are smarter than their parents. I keep warning the boy at least that I will always be bigger, faster, smarter, and stronger. In my heart, though, I know that may very well not be true.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger Brad said...

KK

Good times.

Brad

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Babal Gadar said...

Hi Kevin,

Simple yet thought provoking...
Just drop in to say Hi to you and your family... what's up?

I am in Delhi with my wife and working in call centre...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home