Saturday, October 08, 2005

A sweet father/son moment

I took my son with me the other day to pay the electricity bills. This was his reward fro being a good boy the night before. A ride on the motorcycle with daddy and a ‘big adventure’ to go pay the bills.

We went into the office where we needed to pay the bills and sat down in front of one of the open counters. I handed the bills through the window to the attendant. My son was sitting on my lap and began fidgeting, and trying to get something out of his pants pocket. He eventually retrieved what he was looking for and held out his hand and showed me a few coins (which he later told me he had taken off my desk). “Its ok daddy. I’ll pay this time.” He said. I nearly melted.

How sweet of him to have thought ahead and found those coins (how many others has he taken from my desk in the last 4 years?)and brought them with in order to try to help daddy with paying the bills. It was hard for me to explain to him that our bill was a lot more than he had in his hand, and so we made a deal. I would pay this time, and he could pay another bill some other time, one that could be paid with the few coins in his pocket.

Moments like this make me so thankful to be a daddy.

1 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Blogger P Keener said...

Noah went to Kris one day and asked for some money. Usually when he asks this he wants to put money in his dinosaur bank, it makes “yummy” sounds when you drop coins into it. There were a couple of dimes siting on the end table and as she was handing them to him she ask what he wanted them for.

“I want to put them in Dad’s can so WE can get a motorcycle”

Not only did he not get the dimes, I got the stink eye. The thing is we never talked about it. He knows I have a coffee can for my bike fund but we never talked about him putting money into it (or asking Mom for money to put in although it was not a bad idea just poorly executed).

It was a very cool moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home