Monday, September 05, 2005

An afternoon at the park

Today being Labor Day in America we decided to go for a picnic in the park with another American family who lives in the same city as we do, along with a few others various friends who are here for a few months.

We had yummy potato salad, baked beans, potato chips, chicken burgers (no beef burgers here, but don’t get me going on that part), brownies and watermelon. The kids had a great time playing on the playground and also playing ‘tennis’ (the rest of us call what they were doing badminton, but the kids know it as tennis, so why not indulge them) for a few minutes. A great time was had by all.

The highlight (or maybe the better term would be the lowlight) for me was getting to play a bit of Frisbee. I have not thrown a Frisbee in a looooooooong time. I have not done much of anything remotely athletic in a looooooooooong time. I was quickly reminded of just how overweight and out of shape I am, and was quite conscious of how entertaining it must have been for others in the park to watch the gargantuan fat man run around (taking more than about 3 steps is now considered running for me) throwing a Frisbee. Oh well. Kind of reminded me of the “Friends” episode where Phoebe runs like a total nerd and Rachel gets embarrassed by it, but Phoebe explains how much fun it is when you don’t care what others think of you. I was keenly aware of how stupid I must have looked, but did not care . . . . . . for the moment.

1 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger P Keener said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home