Sunday, June 17, 2007

The newest Oakridge boy

We went today for the orientation program at my son’s new school, called Oakridge International School. He is very excited that the day is finally here to wear his new uniform and meet his classmates and new teacher. He is finally . . . . an Oakridge boy. As he says that memories of 8 track cassettes in my childhood come back. Ahhh . . . the Oakridge Boys. But he is a different kind of Oakridge boy, one with a small ‘b’.

As we got ready and headed to the school, several sayings or phrases came out of the boy that gave me a giggle or a laugh. Among them are the following:

“Daddy, now, when Maggie (one of our two dogs) bites me I won’t cry because Oakridge boys don’t cry for that stuff.” (I love that he said when, not if. He does have one experience with this, so I hope he is not prophetic.)

(said while walking down the steps while looking straight ahead, not at his feet as usual) “Look daddy , I can walk down the stairs without looking down. Oakridge boys can do that.”

(also while walking down the stairs) “And, I also don’t have to hold the handrail while going down. Oakridge boys don’t need to hold on.”

(said to sister while walking up to the front of the school on orientation day) “Slow down!! Only Oakridge boys can walk fast like this.”

He made it sound as if simply by being enrolled in the school, he had somehow become smarter, more able to take care of himself, and more physically gifted than he was last night when he went to bed. If only it were that easy. My gym membership does not work that way for sure.

And all the while, his little sister, who I call ‘Monkey’ for exactly this kind of thing, was mimicking his every move, and trying to do it better than he had done it.

Moments like that make it fun to be a parent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home