Monday, August 24, 2009

Simple Pleasures

I have been trying to take joy in the ‘simple pleasures’ recently. Rather than get caught up in the bigger-faster-better-more high tech-never-be-really satisfied kind of lifestyle that much of our world has been caught up with for too long, I have tried to find the little things that maybe we have taken for granted for too long.

One example of this was in the shower recently. I stood there, feeling the warm (nearly too hot, really) water cascading down my body and realized I really like a warm shower. And I like water coming out of a tap that is above head height, not having to stoop down and take water in scoops from a bucket or crane my head down to fit under a too low shower head. Our new house offers this lovely treat. A standing up, warm shower with no fear of running out of water. A simple pleasure.

Another example was a bike ride with my son the other day. We got him a new bike as a present for his birthday. He had clearly outgrown his first one. This new one is a little too big, but he was up to the challenge of trying to ride this around our new neighborhood. I really enjoyed the simple pleasure of a bike ride around the neighborhood with my son. His giggling at all kinds of random things, including nearly riding his new bike through a big ‘ol pile of water buffalo poo, but mostly at the simple joy of riding his new bike, made me laugh and smile too. A simple pleasure.

One final example came in the form of a dinner with some new friends who recently moved here from another country. They are not from our same home culture, but we really enjoyed a time of eating a delicious meal they provided for us, followed by some simple conversation around the table. A good meal with friend. A simple pleasure.

What about you? What simple pleasure(s) have you enjoyed recently?

1 Comments:

At 2:33 AM, Blogger Kris said...

Played Monopoly with the kids last Saturday. Four hours of family fun. Looking forward to camping at Ft. Stevens this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home