Sunday, September 21, 2008

Criteria

Let me ask a question. What criteria should one use to determine higher education opportunities for one’s children? Cost? Location? Socio-political leaning? Degrees offered? Religious affiliation? Reputation?

While all of those might be valid, let me add one that perhaps you had not thought of. Spelling. Allow me to elaborate.

The other day while sitting waiting for my son’s school bus to drop him off, I was noticing the signage on various vehicles passing by. At the time of day I sit and wait for him there are a significant number of buses going by from various educational institutions. Some technical schools, some primary education school, some colleges, etc.

While taking note of the various names and types of the institutions, I could not help but notice that several of the college buses had misspelled the word ‘college’ on the back or sides of their buses. Some were spelled ‘colleg’, others were spelled ‘colege’, and one other was ‘coolege’. That then begs the question, can a college that can’t spell college really be the best option for my child?

As humorous as it might be (especially if one’s own children are not studying in said institutions), perhaps before deciding on a college for one’s children to attend, take a walk around their buses (or their campus, etc.) and see if they spelled their words right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home