Sunday, September 28, 2008

Is it wrong to play 'fetch' with your kids?

My kids love to play outside. They also love to play various games while outside. Tennis in a favorite. Cricket as well. Sometimes we play other games like riding bikes in races, hide and seek, catch, etc.

The other day we were playing ‘tennis’. My son can hit the ball pretty well, and has reasonable control. My daughter can hit it if you toss it just right for her (read as toss the ball in to the face of the racket, timing the toss with her swing of the racket causing the ball to hit the racket, rather than the racket to hit the ball). When it was my turn to hit, the kids both went to return the ball to me. This quickly turned in to a competition to get the ball first, which quickly deteriorated in to me hitting the ball and them both going to ‘fetch’ it.

I play fetch with my dogs. Well, the one plays fetch, while the other one plays keep away. Playing fetch with my kids seems a little out of place, but they love it.

So is it wrong to play fetch with your kids?

2 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Dean Christensen said...

Nah, it's one of the marks of a good dad... how well he taught his kids to fetch.

You can measure this not only by the speed with which they fetch, but also by the value of the items they fetch.

Today - tennis balls, newspaper, remote control... tomorrow - lunch, gas in the car, a new house. Really, the sky's the limit! But you gotta start 'em young.

Good luck,

Dean

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

my question is, are they house-broken?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home