Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Honesty can be so shocking

Last night I went with my son to go pick up some essentials. Specifically, ice cream. That is an essential in our house. But I digress.

We hopped on the scooter for the 4 block trip to our beloved Gulf Bakery (yes we buy ice cream at our local bakery). We arrived, marched inside and quickly picked out the requisite containers of ice cream and headed for the counter to pay. The total was Rs. 435, so I handed the clerk a Rs. 500 note. He quickly handed me back a Rs. 5 note, a Rs. 10 note, a Rs. 50 note and a Rs. 100 note. For those of you not too quick with the math, he gave me Rs. 165 back when he should have given me only Rs. 65.

I immediately recognized the error and handed him the Rs. 100 note back. He looked at me with a puzzled look as if to ask “What is that for? Did you want something else?” He then looked at the receipt he had given me, and saw his mistake. He gratefully took the Rs. 100 back and thanked me for being honest. This was not so much with words, but a slight nod of the head and a knowing smile.

The others crowded around the counter (there are always others crowded around because 1) I am a giant white guy; 2) I had my adorable son who has blond hair and blue eyes which are a rare site in India; and 3) There are just always crowds of people around.) began to murmur and talk amongst themselves, not so much in a SNL ‘talk amongst yourselves’ kind of way, but in a “What is wrong with that guy?” kind of way.

By the time we left there was a fair ruckus going on, and all over Rs. 100 – roughly $2.00. I was amazed at how simple honesty can be so shocking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home