Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Growing up

I noticed today in a remarkable way how my little boy (5) is so quickly growing up.

Normally my wife goes to pick him up after school, and just recently he started riding the ‘bus’ (really a van) most of the way home after school. She goes and picks him up nearby and brings him the rest of the way home.

Today, she needed to go to a meeting so I was left to go get him from the bus. As I sat there waiting, watching traffic go by, seeing all manner of people wandering about on the streets, I was ill-prepared for what was about to happen.

As the bus pulled up and the door opened, I suddenly realized that my boy is growing up so quickly. He rides the bus home from school now, for crying out loud. He is not the tiny little creature I first knew him to be. He is more a little person now than he ever has been, and for some reason seeing him get out of that van made me realize it.

I now fear that these days are going by too quickly, and I know that I will never be able to get them back again. I only hope I don’t ‘waste them’ by not appreciating him as he develops and grows into a young man.

Lord, help me savor every day as he grows, and help me be a good example to him of what it means to follow you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home