Friday, December 01, 2006

Negotiations gone bad

Our daughter is a great source of laughter to us sometimes. She is brave, bordering on fearless, has a totally care-free desire to live large and play hard. She does everything full throttle. I have often said she will be the first of our two kids to call us one fine day and say "Dad, Mom, guess what I just did? I went to space!" (Going to space, btw, is what I think the next bungy-jumping-like craze is going to be and she is just at the right age to catch it early.)

Tonight her full throttle life caught up with her while we were negotiating how much more pizza she was going to have to eat before she could go back to playing. She began with one bite more, then we went to three bites, and while she thought about it briefly we then suggested four, and before she could think about it she blurted out "No, Five!!" That was readily agreed to by her and us, and she chomped down five more bites. She has no idea she just negotiated her way from one bite more to five bites more, but she felt good about the fact that we agreed with her offer. So I guess it is not so much a case of bad negotiations, but more that we did not understand the values at play in those negotiations.

However, remind me not to have her negotiate the price of my next major pruchase, whatever that might be.

1 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Biddie said...

I have a daughter that does the same thing! She's alittle older now, so the negotiations are bigger, but it's the same!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home