Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Another lesson learned

So my son is a fast learner at times, especially when he determines he is interested in something. Yesterday was a good example.

This year for school he has ‘tie’ shoes, as opposed to the Velcro closures on last years’ shoes. He has actually only had a few pairs of tie shoes so far, and he never really learned how to tie them himself. That all changed . . . . . in one day . . . . . at school.

Clark came home last night from school and as we were outside playing soccer before dinner I pointed out that his shoe was untied. He looked at me with a sheepish grin and told me to watch him. He proceeded to bend down and with a fair amount of concentrated effort, tied his own shoe. He stood up and said ‘Didn’t I do a good job, daddy?’

I wholeheartedly congratulated him on a job well done, and then asked when he learned to do that. ‘Today at school’ was his reply. When probed as to who taught him, his reply was ‘My maam’ (teacher). Just like that. One day, he learns how to tie his tie shoes. And he does it well too.

We went inside so he could show off his new skill to his mommy as well, who was equally enthusiastic about his new skill. He stood, hands on his hips, basking in the glow of his parents approval.

Moments like that make me so glad for the chance to be a daddy. I must admit that part of me was sad that it was not one of us who taught him, but realize in the grand scheme of things, that is ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home