Tuesday, August 02, 2005

All the worrying for nothing

My mom has been planning to come to see us for about 3-4 months now. We had booked her ticket a long time ago. And then the rain began to fall in Bombay, one of the cities she would transit through on her way here. And the rain kept coming, and coming and coming. More than 3 feet of rain in one 24 hour period. The airport was effectively shut down for almost a week, with all indicators the day before she was to arrive that no domestic flights would go to/from Bombay. International flights were mostly ok, but not the domestic ones.

We began making all kinds of contingency plans. Hotel reservations, airport pickups, alternate routings for her flights, cars to drive her to a nearby city where she could possibly get a flight, etc. We spent nearly the whole day tracking her inbound progress and working out all the possible solutions to the situation. We had a veritable hotline to the travel agent here in town.

When I went to bed at about midnight the night before she was to arrive, we had no idea what would happen, and knew we just had to wait for her to call and see what can be done. My instructions to her had been clear. “If for any reason you get delayed or re-routed, just do your best to let me know. If I do not hear from you I will be waiting for you at the scheduled time.”

I got up at about 4 am and decided to check with the airline just to see if maybe something had been worked out. I was informed that her flight had already left Bombay and would be arriving here as per the schedule. I got dressed and headed off to the airport. Sure enough, a few minutes later she arrived, right on time.

I had been so anxious and done my best, and spent all that time worrying over nothing. She was just fine, and made it here with no troubles. One of these days I just might learn to relax a bit and let things happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home