Saturday, February 18, 2006

Kicking the habit (no,not one a nun wears)

I made a decision a few weeks ago to kick a bad habit. This decision was made upon the realization that my self-control was totally gone in this area of my life. I am talking about an addiction that I know several others who share in the struggle with. It is Diet Coke.

My Diet Coke drinking days came crashing to an end on January 10th when I noticed that in spite of the fact that it was only 3 in the afternoon, I had already consumed 7, yes that is one more than a whole 6 pack, cans of Diet Coke that day already.

I vowed then and there to get the situation under control. Since then I have not only not had any Diet Coke, but I have not had any soft drinks of any kind. That fact is something of a miracle considering the massive volumes I have consumed at various points in my life with frightening regularity.

The first few days, even more than a week really, were pretty bad. I did not medicate myself to ease the headaches and other awful feelings except on one or two occasions, and have tried to be conscious not to replace my addiction with something else, like candy bars or something. So far, so good.

This whole thing has become something of a quest for me to find other areas of my life that I need to gain more control over. I am almost to the point of not really wanting it any more, which is a good thing. Maybe now I can begin to work on the next area of my life that needs some attention. What will that be? Hmmmm. Food for thought. Maybe I should ponder this over an icy-cold Diet Coke. :)

1 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

I am in awe of you. Kicking my mt. dew habit isn't even in my realm of consideration right now. Good luck man!
--courtney orrange
ideas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home